The IMAX 3D Experience

Last night Terrence and I (finally) went to see Avatar. Excellent CG and effects heightened by the IMAX 3D experience - it was spectacular! (Although I must say I was more impressed with the IMAX 3D effect on the preview for the Space Film Hubble 3D. The astronaut was practically in your face!) The movie itself was alright - if you were expecting more from the story. I had to agree with T that it was rather predictable. What was more cliche was the portrayal of the U.S. military as this big, bad wolf, and then they were the few "good apples" of the U.S. military who risked their lives to saved the day (or the world). But if anyone's expecting more on the plot for a video-game/cartoon-inspired film, they're asking to be disappointed. So we weren't.

By now I have experienced IMAX (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - I think) , 3D (Coraline) and IMAX 3D. It's supposed to be the next big thing for home entertainment. First the flat screen, then the mount-it-anywhere flat screen, then HD, then 3D at home. It's quite mind-blowing when you come to think about how amazed you were already with those red and blue glasses looking at a 2D drawing back in the days. I can't say I'll become a huge fan though. At some points in all of my endeavors at advanced theaters I experienced nausea. I think I'm just not cut out for advanced technology. My head hurt and my eyes were so tired after the movie, I was surprised I still had an appetite for dinner. So yes, I won't be super excited when it becomes available for the home.

I wonder - since Asian countries always seem to have better entertainment and communication technologies released much sooner than in the U.S. - what is the next best thing for them right now? Pretty soon we'll become the characters in the movies we go to with full interaction and decision-making capabilities, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would have to go on strike!

Comments

Popular Posts