Carma

I'm a believer of carma: driving karma. It often happens when I complain about another driver's seemingly lack of skill, courtesy, poor judgement or the like, that I would somehow get into a situation resulting in the same seemingly chosen behavior. Still, I am often impatient on the road, and it seems like everyone else is, too.

The last 2 days, however, I experienced and witnessed good carma. Yesterday, I went to a drive-through to get some late dinner. I knew once I got home with the baby I would have no time to eat, and before I knew it would be past bedtime. Since baby was content in the car, my dinner strategy was to get drive-through, and eat it quickly before we got home. There was a line at the drive-through, and there was a Jeep behind me. Normally, that means I would be stuck with its headlights shining right through my rear window the entire time. But this particular driver did not have his/her headlights on. I stuck my hand out my window at some point hoping the driver would see that I was trying to say thanks, but I wasn't sure if he/she was looking, so at the checkout window, I asked the gal to tell the next driver I said thanks.

Then tonight, I saw a car cutting off another car on the freeway where the exits were super confusing. The car behind flashed its high beams at the car in front a couple of times to show frustration. Instead of speeding off, the car in front actually flashed its emergency signal, seemingly to acknowledge the frustration and apologize. That made me smile.

Comedian Patton Oswald's late wife used to say: "It's chaos. Be kind."

It's chaos. Be kind to one another.

Comments

Popular Posts