Pet your husband; pamper your dog.

Last night I picked up my "new" ride with a basic stock deck. The intolerable artificial scent left over from the previous owner's air freshener smelt like overcooked vynil, and was making me nauseous. I was in desperate need of music to distract my biological attention, but failed miserably to pull a cassette tape out of my rear. I switched on the radio, and scanned through every single searchable channel just to find commercial after commercial after commercial. I started to wonder why is that people seem to always find good songs on the radio, and I always get the commercials? Am I suffering for the rest of my fellow residents leaving them all the good stuff? Coz if that's the case, it's at least for a good cause, and I can live with that. That's the besides the point. So I gave up and stayed tuned for a frequency that I recall does jazz, and there I came across a commercial that was surprisingly entertaining.

It was a dog food commercial, some kind of treat or biscuit. Being human edible was its selling point. I supposed nowadays people are so disconnected that they treat their pets better than treating members of the human race. Assuming that is true, a market is then generated tailoring to the interests and preferences of pet owners, rather than the need of those helpless little furry things. Listening to the commercial created an experience similar to visiting an upscale restaurant, where a server would go over a list of specials, fish of the day and soup. Savoury air-dried filet mignon, selected chicken breast and fresh Alaskan salmon (or somewhere along the lines of those), as if it was supposed to make your mouth water. The best part was the slogan at the end: "Now your dog and your husband can have the same snack." Wat da heul??? Do you go, "Hubby, come! Sit! Hand! Good boy!", too? Well, I'll be damned.

This reminds me of another radio talk show from HK. Sam, one of the hosts, went by a pet store one day and found them selling dog edible cake, with whip cream, toppings and everything, only your dog won't puke/get diarrhea/lost all its hair/turn blue/something to that matter. He was deeply puzzled. His partner Yee, who was a dog lover, thought it made perfect sense, because if humans like dessert, dogs would love it as well. Sam's argument went: if there is something a dog should not eat, how was it supposed to know it likes it, likes it, and thinks it deserves a piece, too? If there is a fundamental (biological) reason behind the incompatibilities between an animal's tummy and human diets, why should we force it? If there is a lethal poison we humans are known not to take, why should anyone invent an "edible" version of it because someone believes we would like it? Very mind-boggling....

Comments

Popular Posts