Thanksgiving Correspondence (One Big Rant)

You're right about work. You have to do it, but life can only get more boring with it. Unless you're one of those who can never settle at a job, which entails you will never have a serious career, which implies you may never get anywhere in life, which is not generally accepted by the boring middle-class public that we are surrounded by. I don't know if I've told you this, but I find myself resembling a broken record at work - although I may be dealing with different people at different times with slightly different issues, I'm always applying the same solutions, handling things the same way, and saying the same things to everyone. Essentially no customer service business can ever be challenging enough to require a creative mind, which is why work is always dull. I feel so numb at work that it doesn't bother me when people tell me I did something wrong, or excite me when my superior praise me for doing a great job. Apparently I was one of the nominees for employee of the month, but I've only been there for 3 months, and I already think it won't get better than this. At least I don't have work to bring home, not now, because I won't be working that kind of a job while being a full-time student. Why am I still in the hellhole of school anyway? How can I have such a genuine interest in learning and yet, at the same time, be so bad at school? I'll probably hate work even more when school is over though. No more excuses to not take on more responsibilities.

Thanksgiving day at work was boring. In fact the whole Thanksgiving weekend at work was boring. I didn't get sent home early even though it was extremely slow, which made it worst. On Thanksgiving night we have a group of dancers came in, and the contact person was not a nice lady. She made me call practically every single restaurant in the entire downtown to find food for the kids. I sat at the concierge desk for about an hour calling 50 different places, and heard the dialtone buzzing in my ear afterwards. Eventually I found one restaurant in a different hotel serving Thanksgiving dinner, a ghetto Chinese restaurant operating until 10pm, Jack in the crack and Starbucks. The contact person came in and checked in the group with me, and all I thought was I wished I wouldn't have to deal with her again. She left a couple of days later, ended up liking me but hating everyone else who worked at the front desk including the managers and the supervisors. Everyone was like, "Whatever." And I was like, "Whatever."

I didn't see any loners at the bar on Thanksgiving; in fact, the restaurant was crowded with family reservations. The lame thing was: given how much food there was in the kitchen, there wasn't any in the lunch room when everyone who worked that day expected some turkey and didn't bring lunch. My supervisor and I ended up getting Starbucks coffee and pastry for dinner - more accurately, we each got a little slice of cake, since there wasn't any real pastry or cold case items left at the store. How sad. I'm still craving a wholesome, family-style turkey dinner. Two days later, the GM called and asked me how was my Thanksgiving; on the back of my head I thought, "Is this some sick joke?" Bitch.

Like you, I didn't reflect on the things that I am and should be thankful for (obvisously). I think I should feel grateful more often. And I think more people should be grateful of me more often as well.

Comments

Popular Posts