Time

If only this is true: time = money,
life would have been just a bit easier.

From an article in a book I have yet to read: Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner, a study showed that when people are subjected to pay a fine for their tardiness, the dollars spent compensates thus mentally justifies bad behavior; not only a penalty falls short in the prevention of such behavior, ironically it becomes encouragement.

Interesting. But this is not my philosophy.

I know I lag, and I'm not proud of it. In fact, I hate myself for it. It is my achilles heel that is in complete exposure, swallowing me whole. If one day I shall sink with no trance, that would be why. I don't like wasting time, including the time of others. I know it is so limited, and it stresses me out. I would like to believe I have a clinically proven disorder that prevents me from being on time. Perhaps if I could get a permit for it, I don't have to keep beating myself up, and stay out of trouble. But still my puncuality - or rather, therelackof - would not be justified. What seems to be such an easy, granted task gets so hard for me, I can't help but to feel like a loser. Anxiety escalates.

I try to buy time whenever I can afford to; not so much to compensate for other people's time, but let's say for example, I would pay $25 for a taxi cab ride just to save a little bit of time when it costs nothing to take the public transportation. I would rather do the same at times than having to bum a ride from someone else, which in turn saves someone else's time. When I can't make it to certain appointments at the health center, I pay a fine. When I can't make it to work on time, I lose wages. When I show up notoriously late to any appointment, whether it would present itself in dollar amounts, I pay. Because I understand and respect that time is also equivalent to effort and energy, emotional well-being, physical stability, my currency becomes reputation and self-esteem.

I want to apologize to all of those who have suffered from my tardiness. I am trying to be a better person. I may not be doing a very good job, but I am. Sorry, mates....

The other day I ran into a long-lost friend, and we chatted for 3 hours. Somehow we arrived at this topic, and coincidently he has the same dilemma. It is so nice to know I'm not alone. Good luck, Lok.

Comments

Popular Posts