a system that will not crash

I was deleting a file from my hard drive that was titled "Mom". When I right-clicked on the trash can icon to empty it out, a window popped up, and asked, "Are you sure you want to delete 'Mom'?" I paused for a second, and clicked "yes".

The first day I arrived Hong Kong, I went to the hospital to see my dad. He saw me, and smiled. I was told that though there was no significant memory loss, he might not always have a clear idea on the exact identity of the people surrounding him. After all, his thoughts are short-circuited. When he recognized me, and showed joy upon my arrival, it was a relief.

Our brains are far more complex than computer hard drives. The past is what built us. Although we forget, and at times involuntarily suppress or repress memory, our past cannot be deleted. Just a few months back, I was finding ways not to recall anything more than I already know about my history growing up. Today, I can simply click "yes" to delete all the files, because I know my family will always be in my heart.

Comments

Popular Posts