Let me talk. And let me listen.

I may have said this before:
I learn so much from conversations. My thoughts become more coherent when I speak them out loud. Although at times I stumble upon my words, at least when I attempt to describe what I am trying to say by means of finding examples or such, it puts my scattered thoughts into a viewable picture or context, and this helps further developing my thoughts into more precise perspectives. Like having a bag of scrabble tiles, which are thoughts accumulated from different times, whether or not they are all related. Having a good conversation would be the game in which my mind is a projected tile board, and all the letters starts falling into place. So in a sense, talking is almost doing the thinking for me. Of course, I would like to believe that I think before I speak. In fact I don't prefer to discuss anything until I have put into it some private thoughts, or when I have established an idea, just waiting to be cultivated and developed further. At times when I really don't understand, everything comes out as questions, and I look for countless feedback, until at least it make some sense to me. That is when I take the role of a good listener. Other times I just people-watch. I think it is great to have these natural abilities. Philosophy is just the perfect major for me.

So what do I want to do when I graduate? This seems to be the question that interests everyone. Well, there's not much on the plate if I do not plan on furthering my education (and it's not that I wouldn't like to, but I think it's about time I set foot into the real world), but I'm not going to give up, and just settle for any job that would make ends meet. For the first time since I have given up the dream of becoming a product designer, after a conversation with Raymond, I have a clear idea what I'd want to become. Initially, when I switched majors to philosophy, I thought about writing magazine columns. Freelancing would be ideal. Being able to travel would be even better. I want to write about different cultures and perspectives, starting from the middle class in big cities. And then I looked into professional blogging (search "professional blogging" on Google, and you'll find a lot of interesting information). What could be a better way to be your own boss? Having my own column, and having other people support it. I mean I do not know how practical this all really is, but it is not hopeless. And of course, I would have to put in a tremendous amount of effort into building the credential it takes for the public to recognise a columnist, which I may be subjected to begin from the very bottom of journalism as a reporter without knowing virtually anything about the industry. But I wouldn't mind that.

There is one problem, however. Most professional blogs existing today involves business, economy, politics and tenchonology. Would other subjects fascinated readers enough to generate sponsorship and other forms of financial support to at least keep a site running? I suppose I should explain a little what I would want to blog about professionally. I want to blog about the unheard voice. As a matter of fact, I think that will be the name of it if there is ever such a blog. And what do I mean by that? I want to bridge the communication between people of different classes, genders, race and cultures. I want people to stop assuming, and start listening and understanding. Inevitably people may disagree, but I want everyone to learn to accept one another. I am an advocate of peace, and I wish to promote virtues. I want people to acknowledge hardships, and stand up in the face of evil. Now this may be pushing it too far, but I know I cannot be alone in this. Hundreds of non-profit agencies are doing just the same, except they do not exactly tell you what is going on in the minds of the people they are trying to help. Perhaps actions speak louder than voice, but without a voice, how are we supposed to know which actions to take? People look at the TV and the poor, skinny little children on the screen, and thought, "Aw, how sad." Then when the host or narrator says, "All you have to do is to stand up, and say 'I want to help this child!'." People stand up, and say, "I want to help this child!" And then sit their arses back on the sofa. So what is it that the people in need really want? Just any kind of charity? Do they have bigger dreams then that of basic survival? Do they develop a sense of the American dream when they receive help? Let's take another example. How about the people in Iraq? Media portrayed the moment 9-11 took place as a victorious moment, the citizens of Iraq cheered and celebrated like cold-blooded barbarians. But why? If there is indeed hatred in those blood, where did it come from? Americans claim that we have every right to seek revenge, but what have we done to them in the first place that may have stirred up a cause? And when we wage war, killing the innocent and helpless, do we truly believe that is justice? Now the U.S. government gets involved in redeveloping the country. Some people think Americans should be glorified for bringing democracy to the land and people. Some people think it's nonsense. But shouldn't what matter be what they think about the decisions we make for them? Perhaps one can say that the Iraqi's are so under-educated, they are not capable of making such decisions. But how civilized are we when we forcefully take over a country, and start imposing rules and regulations according to our standards and interests? The bottom line is, I want to know what these people know and don't know, I want to listen to the unheard voice.


Raymond said, "Rona, whoa, listen to you!"

I listened to myself, and thought, "Whoa."

Comments

Popular Posts