The End of Last Saturday

So to wrap up my Berkeley Foster The People concert experience:

I was right.  Kimbra came out and played Warrior with the band, but without A-Trek, it was a bit disappointing.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed it.  There were only 2 songs to the encore: Ruby by Mark Foster on the piano - it was quite lovely; and of course - Pumped Up Kicks.  Song's played out in my book, but listening to it live was quite fun still.  


Torches is indeed a fantastic album.  It only happens every so often that one can listen to an entire album, love the tracks, and keep the energy level high without feeling it is playing the same song over and over again.


The rest of the night was slightly adventurous.  It involved breaking and entering, a woman who didn't know how to give out change, and a cab ride canvasing all the of area's parking lots:


Got of the concert, and I needed to use the facilities.  Tried every door on campus along the way back to the car, and finally found the door to the engineering building propped open by a young man, who was so obviously waiting for a girl.  I walked right by him, and said, "So you're working late, too, huh?"  And in we went.  The bathroom was not the easiest room to find.  That involved sliding my small arms up a door vent, and opening the door from the inside.  Otherwise, it would have been a dead-end up 3 flights of stairs.  Weird building....  Scratched myself along the process, but it was quite minor, and all good.  Went all the way around the building to finally found a scary-looking bathroom.  Like haunted-scary.  But my bladder conquered my fear, and I was pretty sure my buddy Z was in a close enough distance he could hear me pee, let alone scream.

That was a relief.

Now out the building and off to find the car.  We walked on, and realized coming out of the other side of that weird building had gotten us completely turned around.  So what do we do?  We grabbed a burrito.  This little joint had an identity crisis.  It sold Mexican and Greek food.  Somehow that seemed to be a common combo in the North Bay.  What I didn't understand was why they wouldn't wrap gyros in a tortilla, or stuff taco meat into a pita.  I mean, might as well, right?  So the woman diligently stood at the cash register and didn't bother to look at us - who were the only people standing in line.  She obviously sensed us there.  (I made sure I realized my inner unagi.)  The cook behind the line asked what we'd like, and she kept on standing there, looking at the cook with a smile while he talked to us as though she was spell-bounded.  My burrito was ready before the cook finally looked back at the puzzling lady, and said something to the effect of "you need to ring them up."  She was dumbfounded, and proceeded to... not know what she was doing.  The cook basically did everything for her.  She smiled the whole time though.  I'd tell her to not quit her day job; though I wasn't sure if she could keep any job....

Anyway.  After filling our bellies with delicious junk food, Z was feeling powerful, and said we should just retrace our steps back to the Greek Theater and down to find the parking lot.  I said screw that, and hopped on a cab.  Cabbie was nice enough not to screw us, and he actually knew his way around town - unlike cabbies in SJ, apparently, according to Z.  We did the whole stop - jump out of cab - run around parking lot - NO, this is not it! - hop back in car - GO, GO, GO!  It was like a game show.  And it was hilarious.  Finally found the lot - $20 after a decent tip.

Wrapped the night.  Headed home.

Have I become a different person upon losing a job?

No.  I became a person.  Capable of adventures and laughter.  Life is good.

Comments

Popular Posts