Rona's Back! (A Response to Marevie's First Post)

Since I'm not a team member (OHH), I'll leave you my comment to your first post here:

When you feel like you're trying really hard, ask yourself if it's worth the effort. We can't please everyone. If people aren't happy, they won't be just because you pretend to agree, then why bother? Even if situations call for us to be "jerks," what qualifies a jerk anyway? And why should you care if someone thinks you're a jerk if he/she doesn't really give a shit who you are, or he/she's not important enough for you to give a shit? You have to be your own person before you can be happy. This is my answer in a nutshell. Welcome to blogspot.

Now, to expand on my comment, I want to tell you a little story:

When I was in Hong Kong the past couple of weeks, I got upset at one of my best friends (yes, I'm very lucky to say I have more than one, which is probably why I can't care enough about other people most of the time). He got himself a new girlfriend, and all of a sudden he's much too busy to meet a (real) friend whom he hasn't seen in years and whom doesn't know when will return again. He called me when I was on my way to the airport and apologized. He said he didn't know why he had handled his time so poorly. I didn't have anything to say.

I've always known the streets and buildings of Hong Kong to be filled by busy little bees: people who work at least 6 days a week, 12-hour days, with social lives and families to attend to. But no matter how busy my friends were, they'd always find a tad of time to say hello, sit down and enjoy each other's company for a little while.

There was dead air over the phone. The silence was becoming very awkward, so I said, "You know I couldn't stay mad at you. I'll talk to you later." And I ended the phone call. I wasn't sure if my disappointment was justified until I reassured myself that yes, I cared about this guy, he was one of my best friends, and I have every right to be mad because I was hurt.

Who's the jerk in this situation? No one really. Life just gets in the way some time.

Anyone can make you mad, but not everyone can make you sad in a way because you've loved them. I've learned to be a little stingy with my emotions; I've learned to reciprocate feelings only because it's right. I'm hurt because it was worth it. But I won't stay hurt if it ceased to be. After all, true friendships are hard to come by these days, especially those whom you share a great deal of history with. These are the people I cherish most.

And by the way, I did take a ton of pictures in Hong Kong. Stay tuned as I shall post them on flickr soon. Here's a few for preview:




Comments

Popular Posts