Tag: The Ultimate Break Up Mix

E posted an entry on Thanksgiving titled With Grace.  She dedicated a song to "the men who’ve dropped in and dropped out of [her] life;"  each one of them taught her something, showed her parts of herself she never knew existed before, created bittersweet and important memories....  E and I are so different in so many ways, but I suppose we're family after all.  The song she's chosen was one of the songs in my recent break up mix - "They Can’t Take That Away From Me."  She's digging the Frank Sinatra cover; the one I listened to was covered by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.  Most versions have such a light, almost cheery sound to it, that if you didn't listen close enough to the lyrics you wouldn't have realized it was about two people who couldn't be together.  I agree that the Fred Astaire version was fantastic - check out the attached video.  If only we could say goodbyes with that smile....  That may be the happy ending M had wanted.  



So to share the rest of my mix - might have forgotten a few:

Maybe I would have been something you'd be good at 
Maybe you would have been something I'd be good at 
But now we'll never know 
I won't be sad but in case I'll go there 
Everyday, to make myself feel bad there's a chance 
I'll start to wonder if this was the thing to do 
Remember that time you threw a can of beer at me like a stone
You drunk too much wine and threw up in the taxi cab on the way home
You looked like a mess
But I must confess
Baby, I think I love you today
Stay with me and let em' see, let em' know that you love me, that you love me
If it's true who cares what they do?
Cause I don't need anyone but you.
Just you and me, we're gonna make it all alone.
Let them laugh at us, we're gonna build a world all our own.
Keep on then, keep on holdin' on to me, they'll learn in time.
I really love you, so don't you pay em' no mind.
As you can see, not all of them were about break up: "I Think, I Love" was about falling in love; "Don't You Pay Them No Mind" was about having the courage to stay together; nonetheless they were on my mix because each of them echoed a sentiment that felt so strong when I fought to work things out in the relationship.  This break up happened almost a year ago.  It feels as though it was only yesterday.

Okay, I'm going to bury myself in my blanket and cry now.

Share you Sap Mix!  Post blog link in comment section.  I dare ya.

(Last Valentine's Day I think I've posted my ultimate strip tease mix - I called it My Sultry Valentine.  Start thinking, people.  That's going to be the next tag.)

Comments

Popular Posts