Day One

We drove as the sun crept up on us.
We listened to Goodnight, My Love in the car.
But the day had just begun - 
Leaving behind the usual wee small hours of chit-chat over booze and cigarettes, as we toyed with the notion of slumber;
We had barely slept tonight,
Groggy-eyed, and headed for the airport
It was close to 6 AM.

The airport was exceptionally crowded.
The line through customs was a complete snake pile.
I began to worry about missing my flight.

Exited the body scanner, collected my items,
I turned around as I put my belt back on.
I chuckled - 
Everyone on their bare feet, fiddling with their belts and loops just as well,
As if we had all just gotten a quickie,
And was hushed out the door after leaving money in a jar.
But it was no time to giggle about.
I've got to run.

Last night A asked if I was excited.
I told her I would be when I got there.
J asked me if flights made me nervous.
I said no, but I could never sleep on a plane.

The sun continued to rise as I sat by the window, overlooking the wing, on the aircraft.
The view was spectacular.
I snapped a few photos as the landscape under my feet shifted.





The anticipation for the take off was similar to that of having my blood drawn.
I am not afraid of needles, but there would still be a sense of uneasiness for the moment.
Actually, it is more of an excitement I would say.
Anyway,
I leaned back in my seat on the plane and stared out the window.
As the aircraft gradually gained its speed on the runway,
I felt as though I was looking at the pint-size bag slowly filling up next to me at a blood drive.
I felt like I was doing something right.
The anxiety and fickleness through planning and packing was over,
The journey has began….

Chicago is a beautiful city.
I must have looked like a small town girl bewildered in a big city when I stepped out of the train station.
I looked around and around,
And I snapped photos in my head as I walked to the hostel.

This is going to be fun.

Comments

Popular Posts