Superhumans

One of my common conversation starter is asking if someone could have one superpower, what would that be?  To make it more complex (if the answer is satisfying, and I think the convo can go somewhere), I add: and what are you willing to give up for that?

My friend N has a tendency to blurt out the most random, but most entertaining thoughts - with or without being provoked - he said what if you can fly, but you can only fly as fast as you can run?  I thought that was brilliant.  See, the thing is we both believe in a sense of balance.  He calls it Karma.  I call it..., well, balance.  If you gain something, you've got to give something.  Now, N is also a cross-fit trainer.  He is conditioned to run for days.  So of course he would say something like that, because you know this guy is going to stop at nothing to make sure he could fly in lightning speed someday.  For those of us who don't have the conviction, we tend to see having a superpower as a cop-out.  If I was super smart - if I could unlock my brain energy like Bradley Cooper's character did in Limitless - most people seem to think they'll just make a shitload of money - I happened to want to change the world.  All selflessness aside, truth be told, if I could have one superpower, it would be teleportation.  How is that a cop-out?  Oh, perhaps the fact that I'm always running late, and wish I could skip traffic and what have you, so I could be less of an asshole.  It also helps that I won't ever have to worry if I've forgotten something before I leave the house, because guess what, if I left something I'll just teleport back and grab it.  But what if I needed a car, and I couldn't teleport a vehicle?  Hmm....

Side story: once I was in a real hurry to pick up a friend and get to a music festival in SF.  I almost walked out the door without shoes.  I walked back into my room to put shoes on, got down to the garage, started my car, then realized when I got to the street that I didn't grab the tickets.  Third trip back.  I ran into the closing elevator when I thought I ought to bring a jacket.  Fourth trial: got back into the house, and picked a jacket.  Back into the elevator, and thought "okay, this is it" when I looked down at my hand, and noticed I was holding a hanger....  I seriously thought for a second: why did I bring a hanger?  And I came to realization that I had took it instead of the jacket I removed from it on my way out.  I almost died laughing at myself in the elevator.  So..., fifth time's a charm.  And somehow that cost another at least 20 minutes.  I'm not always that scatterbrained.  But it takes serious efforts not to be.

So I was looking up how to submit an article to the local newspapers, and I came across this:
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_21274150/hicks-we-all-have-everyday-superpowers

http://childrenwithswag.tumblr.com/


Pretty cute stuff.  I'm trying to think what my everyday superpower is....  It has to be inconspicuous, exists for no obvious reasons, and it has to be somehow beneficial.  So things like "somehow always get screwed by the postal systems," "always attract riptide at the beach," etc. doesn't count.  If any of you have any idea of my superpower or your own, please feel free to comment and share.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts