The Power Of NOW

I've been reading a book called The Power Of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It belongs to a friend of mine, which insisted that it changed his and many others' lives. [Though I think there's still quite a bit he needs to work on in terms of liberation.] He told me how much wisdom it contains, and how it should be everybody's must-read. For the longest time, it sat on my desk, and every now and then I looked at it, and scoffed. I don't know why, I just did. I've never been a fan of self-help books. I don't discriminate them, or the people who generally read them. They are, as a matter of fact, a good way to learn the many different perspectives we may never see until they are put on a shelf, and possibly labelled a national best-seller. But how many egotistic authors have successfully saved themselves-and others-without being completely disillusioned? I once heard about an author who wrote a book on depression, committed suicide right before the book got famous. Perhaps it was because he killed himself that the book started selling. How sarcastic. Anyhow, I started reading the book one day when I decided to take a relaxing bubble bath. Honestly, I know I'm not the smartest person out there, but I think it's full of junk. Well, there's always some truth in people's words as long as you're open to opinions, plus one can always learn from disagreements as well. I don't think if I finished this book, it would change my life or nothing. But I'll give it a shot. To the least it may be worth a few laughs. So ever since, the book has never left my bathroom. It became my best company as I take care of some serious business everyday.

Tonight, I turned on the light in the bathroom, and there it was, the book as sitting at its usual spot, waiting to be opened and read. I looked at the gold-stamped title, and I chuckled. The Power Of Now. Indeed. Now I see the wisdom it contains. I mean, how much more truth there could possibly be than "when you gotta go, you gotta go"? I've got the power!

Comments

Popular Posts