Baby, It's Cold Outside



The older I get, the more I appreciate Christmas and all the warm and fuzziness it holds.  Growing up I didn't have that appreciation - in fact, I resented it.  My family never celebrated it, and refused to let me (my parents were Buddhists, plus they were never around).  The school would have the kids decorate the classrooms - I always had fun doing that.  The school would also have a party - which was always kind of lame.  Kids exchanged Christmas cards - thinking back, that was really kind of sweet.  I remember going to the store with a list of names of whom I would write to that year, and picking out each card I thought would be the most suitable.  I wish I have kept that going.   Commercial skyscrapers would compete with on another over the most awesome Christmas lights and decorations.  Christmas in Hong Kong was not a holiday to stay in - the harbor was always packed with lovers and families who were out to enjoy the festivities.  One year my cousin took my brother and I out, we took lots of pictures, and it looked like we had a lot of fun.  But holidays are about family; as I drifted further away from my parents, my spirit for Christmas faded.  Much like a lonely spinster during Valentine's - it felt a little... humiliating almost.  It was stupid.

This year, I actually got to spend time with my family - not my immediate, but it was as close as it would ever get.  It was nice.  It was like... what it should be.  There were tons of presents under the Christmas tree; a ton of food we all made together; a full circle around the dinner table - newborn to the great-grandmother; there was even Christmas music playing in the background.  Like all family gatherings over the holidays, there was also family member I didn't care to see - but I didn't even mind that.  I wouldn't call it a Christmas miracle, but I would certainly do it again.

Besides the holiday cheer, my family also managed to spread another influence to me: Glee.  Some videos my cousin sent got me into looking up different covers performed by this musical group, and now I'm a bit hooked on the show.  The episodes are hit-and-miss, but some song interpretations are very well done.  California has been a freezer lately, and one of my favorite Winter/Christmas songs came up on the stereo on my drive home - Baby, It's Cold Outside.  I've heard a many versions before, but I am loving the Glee.  It might have something to do with the fact that it was sung by a gay couple; nevertheless, it was absolutely lovely.  It was so suiting to the weather out there, it was almost magical.  If only I was part of the duet....  *blush.

I do remember feeling something like that before.  My first love (well, I'm not sure if that was love, but it felt like it then) - we were just 2 high-school kids hanging out at a playground late at night.  We chatted on the swing - the chemistry was unbelievable.  He kissed me, and I kissed back - my first real kiss.  It started to rain but we hung out some more.  We knew we were going to get in trouble for staying out so late, but we were so smitten.  So I went home, and my mother was furious.  I remember not being able to wipe my silly smile away, and she got even more furious.  And then it got really ugly....

It was a great feeling though.  That first love.  He wasn't the best guy I've dated, but he was my only first love.

Teenage years....

Valentine's day is coming up.  Spinster or not, get ready to share your sultry valentine's mix.

<3

Comments

Popular Posts