Kung Hei Fat Choi!


Got this from a forwarded email my Aunt sent me.  Picked this out of all the attachments as it had the best message: "prosperity without the work."  Asian folks believe in luck, but they definitely believe in hard work.  This decorative, lucky "poster"/sign is meant to be cute/humorous.  But it tickled me fancy.

Was just talking to a friend tonight about my recent job search.  My resume is still 2 pages long, and not ready to be sent out; I've been browsing here and there, and nothing has stirred up any excitement thus far.  Trying to get away from hospitality - not interested in working for another place that's open year-round 24/7; done with customer service - all the smiling and apologizing; was trying to find executive admin jobs, but weary of the long hours; then there were others that seemed either dull or not financially viable.  My old boss kept trying to encourage me to stay in hotel operations.  He thinks I'm great - I've just been working for the wrong company and a psycho boss.  He used the analogy of an abusive home - just because I grew up in it, and that was all I know, doesn't mean that's how it is or should be, and that I would really shine in a better organization.  Well, I'm much too scarred to want to stay in anything that resembles it right now.  In fact, this job has gotten me to a point where I just don't want to work at all.  My ambitions are blown to bits, and I need rest.  Time off was never something I could afford.  And I'd really like to move to the city.  So I keep looking - though it feels more like I'm sleep-walking through it.

Funny how my mentality over the last 5 years on just about every aspect of my life has changed so drastically.  Do I even know who I am anymore?

Anyhoo, I wish all of you prosperity... without the work.  ;-p

Comments

Popular Posts